Hi comics/zine makers! Im in the process of making a short (under 20 minuets) documentary about contemporary DIY comics & zine makers and I need your help! I would like to interview a variety of cartoonists and zine creators about what they do, how they do it, and why they do it. Also, I welcome any additional comments you have.
My base interview questions are:
1. How do you define zines/ comics?
2. What do you do in that realm?
3. How did you get into making zines/comics? What keeps you going?
4. Do you feel that you are part of an artistic community? How is it different from other communities (from what you can tell)
5. What type of assumptions do you feel people have towards zine makers/ cartoonists?
6. Has there ever been a time where you felt discouraged from making comics/ zines? (public opinion, low sales, discouraging art school teachers, life circumstances ect)
7. Tell me about something exciting/new you are working on
This is a video documentary, so I am asking for you to film yourself responding to those questions. Links to you and your work will be included in the credits, and in the online description.
What I need from you:
- Record yourself answering all (or some) of these questions in a quiet room. You can read off the question first, then give your response. Friends with opinions can participate as well.
- No need to edit! I want raw footage. Hopefully this takes you no more than 5 minuets. Use your mac/ iphone/ webcam whatever.
Send me your file as a:
Apple Video (ivideo)
DUE DATE: No later than APRIL 25. It will be presented in May, so I’d like time to work on it
Why am I making this? I want to see the range of opinions and answers in what I perceive to be a very niche artistic community. This documentary will be presented to my graduate level visual cultures class, posted on vimeo, and here on tumblr.
If you think this sounds like it might be fun, OR have any question, please send me an email: email@example.com or message me here
Thanks for your participation!!!